Science and Technology > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous
Why in news?
- Instances of Brucellosis has been discovered in Kerala.
What is brucellosis?
- Brucellosis is a disease caused by a group of bacteria from the genus Brucella and can infect both humans and animals.
- Brucellosis is often spread when people eat contaminated food, which may include raw meat and unpasteurized milk.
- The bacteria can also be spread through the air or contact with an open wound.
- A variety of animals can contract brucellosis, including goats, sheep, pigs , cattle, dogs etc
- Humans can get infected if they come in direct contact with infected animals or by eating or drinking contaminated animal products or by inhaling airborne agents.
- According to the WHO, most cases of the disease are caused by ingesting unpasteurised milk or cheese from infected goats or sheep.
- Symptoms of the disease include fever, sweats, malaise, anorexia, headache and muscle pain.
Consider the following statements regarding Brucellosis:
1.It can infect both humans and animals.
2.It is caused by a virus.
Choose the correct statements from the codes given below:
(c)Both 1 and 2
(d)Neither 1 nor 2
Answer to Prelims question