Industry and Infrastructure > Miscellaneous > Railways
Why in news?
- Northern Railway zone has completed the Arch closure of the world’s highest railway bridge, Chenab Bridge in Jammu and Kashmir.
About the bridge:
- The iconic Chenab Bridge is a part of the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla rail link (USBRL) project.
- USBRL project will link the Kashmir valley to the rest of India via railways.
- The Chenab river will flow about 359 metres below the bridge.
- Bridge construction involved the fabrication of 28,660 million tonnes steel, 10 lakh cum earthwork, 66,000 cum concrete as well as 26 kilometres motorable roads.
Worlds highest railway bridge is being constructed across river:
Answer to the Prelims Question