Agriculture > Miscellaneous > Cash crops
Why in news?
- A New high-yielding and pest-resistant variety of soybean called MACS 1407 has been launched.
About MACS 1407:
- MACS 1407 is suitable for cultivation in the states of Assam, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and North-Eastern states and its seeds will be made available to farmers for sowing during the 2022 Kharif season.
- It is developed by scientists from MACS- Agharkar Research Institute (ARI), Pune, an autonomous institute of the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India in collaboration with Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi.
- It gives 39 quintals per hectare making it a high yielding variety and is also resistant to major insect-pests like girdle beetle, leaf miner, leaf roller, stem fly, aphids, white fly and defoliators.
- Its thick stem, higher pod insertion (7 cm) from ground, and resistance to pod shattering make it suitable even for mechanical harvesting.
- It is low fertiliser using and suitable for rain-fed conditions of north- east India.
MACS 1407, recently in news, is a high yielding variety of:
Answer to Prelims question