Geography > Places in news > Places in news
Why in news?
- PM Modi launched the Mahabahu-Brahmaputra programme and participated in the bhumi pujan for the two-lane Majuli bridge which will connect Majuli to Jorhat in Assam, through video conferencing.
About the Island
- It is a riverine island in Assam, formed by Brahmaputra.
- Majuli is the largest river island in India (The largest river island in the world is Bananal Island in Brazil).
- In 2016, Majuli became the first island to be made a district in India.
- The island is formed by the Brahmaputra River in the south and Kherkutia Xuti River and Subansiri River in the north.
- The tribal communities inhabiting here includes the Misings, the Deoris and the Sonowal Kacharis
- The island has been the hub of Assamese neo-Vaishnavite culture, initiated around the 15th century by the Assamese saint Srimanta Sankardeva.
- The island is under threat due to the extensive soil erosion on its banks.
- It had an area of 880 square kilometres at the beginning of the 20th century, but it covers 352 square kilometres as at 2014.
Majuli island is located in the state of:
Answer to Prelims Question