National Investigation Agency
Security > Internal Security > Government agencies
- National Investigation Agency has taken over a controversial gold smuggling case in Kerala.
- The National Investigation Agency (NIA) is a central agency established by the Indian Government to combat terror in India.
- It acts as the Central Counter Terrorism Law Enforcement Agency.
- The agency is empowered to deal with terror related crimes across states without special permission from the states.
- The Agency came into existence with the enactment of the National Investigation Agency Act 2008 by the Parliament of India on 31 December 2008.
- Headquartered in New Delhi, the NIA has branches in Hyderabad, Guwahati, Kochi, Lucknow, Mumbai, Kolkata, Raipur and Jammu.
- NIA was created after the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks as need for a central agency to combat terrorism was realised.
Q. Consider the following statements regarding National investigation agency (NIA):
- It is a statutory body.
- It was created in 2001 after the terrorist attack on parliament
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
Answer to Prelims question