Geography > Places in news > Places in news
Why in news?
- A US warship has sailed near the Chinese-controlled Paracel Islands in the disputed South China Sea in a freedom of navigation operation.
About the islands:
- The Paracel Islands are a disputed archipelago in the South China Sea consisting about 130 small coral islands and reefs.
- The archipelago is approximately equidistant from the coastlines of the People's Republic of China (PRC) and Vietnam
- The archipelago includes Dragon Hole, the deepest underwater sinkhole in the world.
- The archipelago is surrounded by productive fishing grounds and a seabed with potential, but as yet unexplored, oil and gas reserves.
- The ownership of the islands remains hotly contested with China, Vietnam, and Taiwan all claim de jure sovereignty, although the China (PRC) has de facto control of the islands.
Paracel islands are located in:
(a)North Pacific Ocean
(b)South Atlantic Ocean
(d)South China sea
Answer to the Prelims Question