Report on Global Spending on Arms
Miscellaneous > Reports and indices > Reports and indices
About the report and its findings:
- The report is published by by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
- The Sweden-based SIPRI is an independent international institute dedicated to research into conflict, armaments, arms control and disarmament.
- As per the report, world’s top military spenders are the US, China and India.
- All the four countries saw their military spending go up compared to 2019, even during a pandemic year.
- The US spent a total of $778 billion, China spent $252 billion, India’s military expenditure was $72.9 billion, and Russia had $61.7 billion.
- India’s spending since 2019 grew by 2.1 per cent, the increase for China was more moderate, at 1.9 per cent.
- In 2020, the United States’ military spending was 3.7 per cent of its GDP while the corresponding numbers for China and India were 1.7 per cent and 2.9 per cent respectively.
- From 2011 to 2020, American military expenditure dropped by 10 per cent, but China saw a 76 per cent growth while India’s military spending grew by 34 per cent.
Consider the following statements:
1.USA is the country with the largest spending on military.
2.India has the third largest defence budget in the world.
Choose the correct statements from the codes given below:
(c)Both 1 and 2
(d)Neither 1 nor 2
Answer to Prelims question