Geography > Places in news > Places in news
Why in news?
- Pakistan, Turkey are waging information war against India as per a report.
- Turkey, officially the Republic of Turkey is a transcontinental country located mainly on the Anatolian peninsula in Western Asia, with a small portion on the Balkan Peninsula in Southeast Europe.
- East Thrace, the part of Turkey in Europe, is separated from Anatolia by the Sea of Marmara, the Bosphorous and the Dardanelles (collectively called the Turkish Straits).
- Turkey is bordered by Greece and Bulgaria to its northwest; Georgia to its northeast; Armenia, the Azerbaijani exclave of Nakhchivan and Iran to the east; and Iraq and Syria to the south.
- Istanbul is the largest city while Ankara is the capital. Approximately 70 to 80 per cent of the country's citizens identify as Turkish.
- Kurds are the largest minority; the size of the Kurdish population is a subject of dispute with estimates placing the figure at anywhere from 12 to 25 percent of the population.
Which of the following countries border Turkey?
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a)1 and 2 only
(b)1 and 3 only
(c)1,2 and 4 only
(d)1,2,3 and 4
Answer to Prelims Question