Polity > Election > Election Commission
- Starting from Bihar Elections, Covid 19 affected People and those aged over 65 will be allowed to use absentee ballots.
ABOUT ABSENTEE BALLOT:
- This refers to a vote cast by someone who is unable to go to the polling station. The system is designed to increase voter turnout.
- In India, a postal ballot is available to only some citizens.
- The Representation of the People Act, 1950 allows heads of states and those serving in the armed forces to vote through postal means.
- Other than this ‘Absentee Voter’ has been defined by election commission as per RPA to extend to persons employed in essential services who, on account of the compulsion of their duties, are not able to be present in their polling station on the day of poll.
- This category was extended last year to senior citizens of 80 plus age and those belonging to the category of physically disabled (PWD).
- Now the facility has been extended to COVID-Affected people or voters aged over 65+ to reduce the risks at polling stations.
- The voters under the category use a system of Postal Ballots to vote.
Q. Who among the following categories of voters in India are eligible for voting by Postal Ballots:
- People aged over 80
- Members of Armed Forces
- People in essential services
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1,2 and 3
Answer to Prelims question