Geography > Places in news > Places in news
Why in news?
- Recently, Turkish President warned Greece to demilitarize islands in the Aegean Sea.
What is the issue?
- Turkey says: Greece has been building a military presence in violation of treaties that guarantee the unarmed status of the Aegean islands.
- It argues the islands were ceded to Greece on the condition they remained demilitarised.
- Greece says: it has legal grounds to defend itself including a long-standing threat of war if Greece extended its territorial waters.
- Greek-Turkish differences are not presently about land, but water.
About Aegean Sea:
- Aegean Sea an arm of the Mediterranean Sea, located between the Greek peninsula on the west and Asia Minor on the east.
- The Aegean is connected through the straits of the Dardanelles, the Sea of Marmara, and the Bosporus to the Black Sea, while the island of Crete can be taken as marking its boundary on the south.
Which of the following countries open to Aegean Sea?
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 4 only
(d) 1,2 and 3 only