Agni Prime (Agni-P)
Science and Technology > Defence technology > Missile defence systems
Why in news?
- DRDO successfully test-fired indigenously-developed new generation medium-range ballistic missile Agni Prime (Agni-P) from the APJ Abdul Kalam Island at Odisha coast.
About Agni Prime (Agni-P):
- It is a two-stage canisterised solid propellant surface-to-surface ballistic missile with dual redundant navigation and guidance system
- It is the latest and sixth variant of the Agni series missiles (under IGMDP - Integrated Guided Missile Development Program).
- With multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicles, the missile is capable of delivering a number of warheads at separate locations at a distance of 1,000 - 2,000 km.
- It carry warheads up to 1.5 tonne.
- It can perform high maneuvers while homing in on targets.
- It has a dual redundant navigation and guidance system.
Other Agni Class of Missiles:
- They are the mainstay of India’s nuclear launch capability.Range of other Agni Missiles:
- Agni I: Range of 700-800 km.
- Agni II: Range more than 2000 km.
- Agni III: Range of more than 2,500 Km
- Agni IV: Range is more than 3,500 km and can fire from a road mobile launcher.
- Agni-V: The longest of the Agni series, an Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) with a range of over 5,000 km.
IGMDP (Integrated Guided Missile Development Program):
- It was conceived by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam to enable India attain self-sufficiency in the field of missile technology.
- It was approved in 1983 and completed in 2012.
- The 5 missiles (P-A-T-N-A) developed under this program are:
- Prithvi: Short-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile.
- Agni: Ballistic missiles with different ranges, i.e., Agni (1,2,3,4,5)
- Trishul: Short-range low-level surface to air missile.
- Nag: 3rd generation anti-tank missile.
- Akash: Medium-range surface-to-air missile.
Consider the following statements regarding the proposed Agni Prime missile:
1.It is an Intercontinental Ballistic missile.
2.It has been developed by DRDO.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(c)Both 1 and 2
(d)Neither 1 nor 2