Science and Technology > Digital technology > Digital technology
Why in news?
- Recently, an IIT Madras-incubated company has developed the ‘BharOS’ software.
About BharOS Software:
- It is an indigenous mobile operating system (OS), like Android or iOS.
- A mobile operating system is software that is the core interface on a smartphone like Android by Google and iOS by Apple, which help smartphone users interact with their device and access its features, while ensuring safety.
- BharOS is a contribution towards the idea of a self-reliant India or ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ by creating a secure OS environment for India-based users.
- It is focused on privacy and security. BharOS Services are currently being provided to organisations that have stringent privacy and security requirements and whose users handle sensitive information that requires confidential communications on restricted apps on mobiles.
- Such users require access to private cloud services through private 5G networks.
- The project aims to reduce the dependence on foreign OS in smartphones and promote the use of locally developed technology.
- It is a huge leap forward to create an indigenous ecosystem and a self-reliant future.
- It aspires to put India on par with those few countries that currently possess such capabilities.
BharOS v/s Google Android:
- BharOS is based on Android Open-Source Project (AOSP) and is somewhat similar to Google Android. However, it does not come preloaded with Google services like in regular Google Android phones.
- So BharOS users are free to download only those apps that they like or prefer rather than being forced.
With reference to ‘BharOS Software’, consider the following statements
1. It is a mobile application for accessing central and state government services
2. It was developed by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2