Art and Culture > Dance forms > Regional dance forms
Why in news?
- The covid-19 pandemic has dealt a devastating blow to Dhap tribal dance as the performers could not be arranged
About Dhap Dance:
- Dhap Dance also called Sambalpuri folk dance is mostly performed by the Kandha tribe of Kosal region in Odisha.
- Both men and women participate in the dance.
- The dance is performed during marriage ceremony and during the main festival of the Oriyas ie 'Nuakhai'.
- The dance is named so because of the accompanying instrument called 'Dhap.'
- The dhap is in the shape of a Khanjari made up of wood with one side open and the other side covered with a piece of animal skin.
- The dhap dancer holds the dhap with his left hand, the sling slung over his left shoulder, and beats with his right as well as left hand.
- Tribals also worship the local God through the medium of dhap dance.
Consider the following pairs:
Folk Dance : State
1. Ghumura : Haryana
2. Dhap : Odisha
3. Cheraw : Mizoram
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 2 only
(d) 1,2 and 3