Global Entry Programme
2021 JUN 4
International Relations > India and Global Regions > India-USA
Why in news?
- India recently signed International Expedited Traveler Initiative Programme, also called as Global Entry Programme, with the United States.
What is Global Entry Programme?
- Global Entry is a US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows speedy clearance for low-risk travellers upon their arrival in US.
- The travellers are pre-approved for the programme after a rigorous background check.
- In-person interviews are also taken to check the ‘low-risk’ status of the applicants before the enrolment.
- Apart from this, the travellers may further be questioned when they enter the United States in case the need arises.
Which countries are members of this programme?
- Apart from India, citizens of Colombia, United Kingdom, Germany, Panama, Singapore are eligible to become members of this programme.
- South Korea and Mexican nationals are also included under Global Entry Programme.
- Canadian residents can apply for enrollment under this through their membership in NEXUS programme.
- The membership can be cancelled or denied in case the US Customs and Border Protection finds any false information in the application or if the individual has any past criminal records of any kind and any connections with any money laundering case.
- Any person who has violated any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country also stands ineligible.
What is the benefit of this programme?
- The biggest advantage of getting enrolled in this programme is that you will no longer have to stand in the long queues for immigration.
- On landing at the selected airports in the United States, the approved applicants can make their way ahead through automatic kiosks instead of standing in the immigration lines.
- Apart from no processing lines, there is also an advantage of reduced wait time and no paperwork.
Consider the following statements regarding Global Entry Programme of USA :
1.It is open only to Citizens of European Union, Australia and New Zealand.
2.The primary objective of the program is to attract research scholars from best universities in the world to USA.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
(c)Both 1 and 2
(d)Neither 1 nor 2
Answer to Prelims question