Global Environment Facility
Environment and Ecology > Biodiversity > Climate treaties and protocols
- 58th meeting of the Global Environment Facility (GEF) Council was held recently.
GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT FACILITY:
- Global Environment Facility (GEF) is a financial mechanism that provides grants to developing countries for projects that benefit the global environment and promote sustainable livelihoods in local communities.
- It was established on the eve of the 1992 Rio Earth Summit.
- It is an international partnership of 183 countries, international institutions, civil society organizations and the private sector that addresses global environmental issues.
- It is headquartered in Washington DC, USA.
Areas of work:
- Seven main areas: Biodiversity, climate change (mitigation and adaptation), chemicals, international waters, land degradation, sustainable forest management/REDD+ and Ozone layer depletion.
Who can receive GEF funding?
- GEF funds are available to developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
- GEF support is provided to Government agencies, civil society organizations, private sector companies and research institutions.
- The World Bank serves as the GEF Trustee, administering the GEF Trust Fund (contributions by donors).
- GEF also serves as financial mechanism for the following conventions:
- CBD Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD)
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
- UN Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD)
- Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs)
- Minamata Convention on Mercury
Q. Which of the following Environmental Conventions are under Global Environmental Facility (GEF) financial mechanism:
- Convention on Bio diversity (CBD)
- Convention to combat desertification (UNCCD)
- Framework convention on climate change (UNFCCC)
- Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants
- Minamata Convention
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1,2 and 3 only
- 1,2,3 and 4 only
- 1,2,3 and 5 only
- All of the above
Answer to Prelims question