Global Tiger Forum
Environment and Ecology > Species extinction & protection > International groupings
Why in news?
- 4th Asia Ministerial Conference on Tiger Conservation was recently organized by the Government of Malaysia and Global Tiger Forum (GTF).
About Global Tiger Forum:
- The Global Tiger Forum (GTF) is the only inter- governmental international body established with members from willing countries to embark on a global campaign to protect the Tiger.
- GTF is focused on saving the remaining 5 sub-species of Tigers distributed over 13 Tiger Range countries of the world.
- GTF was formed in 1993 on recommendations from an international symposium on Tiger Conservation at New Delhi, India.
- India is one of the founding members of the Global Tiger Forum.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi,
- India will facilitate Tiger Range Countries towards finalisation of New Delhi declaration for the Global Tiger Summit to be held in Russia later this year (2022).
Tiger range countries under GTF:
- India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Russia, Thailand and Vietnam.
Tiger Population in India:
- India's tiger population now stands at 2967 which is 70 per cent of the global tiger population (as of 2021)
- India is home to 53 tiger reserves spread across 18 states and the last tiger census of 2018 showed a rise in the tiger population.
Consider the following statements:
1. India is one of the founding members of Global Tiger Forum.
2. India is home to over 70% of the tiger population globally
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2