Green Energy Open Access Rules 2022
2023 MAY 19
Environment and Ecology > Miscellaneous > Renewable energy
Why in news?
- Ministry of Power & NRE (New and Renewable Energy), Government of India has chaired a meeting on Green Energy Open Access Rules 2022.
About Green Energy Open Access Rules 2022:
- In 2022, the Government had notified Electricity (Promoting Renewable Energy through Green Energy Open Access) Rules, 2022 in order to further accelerate India’s ambitious Renewable Energy programmes.
Salient Features of Green Energy Open Access Rules
- The salient features and benefits to common consumers from 'Green Energy Open Access' are as follows:
- (a) These rules are notified for promoting generation, purchase and consumption of green energy including the energy from Waste-to-Energy plants.
- (b) The Green Open Access is allowed to any consumer and the limit of Open Access Transaction has been reduced from 1 MW to 100 kW for green energy, to enable small consumers also to purchase renewable power through open access.
- (c) Consumers are entitled to demand supply of Green Power from Discoms. Discoms would be obligated to procure and supply green power to eligible consumers.
- (d) These Rules have streamlined the overall approval process for granting open access. Time bound processing by bringing uniformity and transparency in the application as well as approval of open access through a national portal has been mandated. Approval for Green Open Access is to be granted in 15 days or else it will be deemed to have been granted.
- (e) Commercial and Industrial consumers are allowed to purchase green power on voluntarily basis.
- (f) There shall be a uniform Renewable Purchase Obligation (RPO), on all obligated entities in area of a distribution licensees. Green Hydrogen/Green Ammonia has also been included for fulfillment of its RPO.
- (g) Consumers will be given Green Certificates if they consume green power and will also be facilitated.
- As per the Electricity Act 2003, the tariff is determined by the Appropriate Commissions (Central Electricity Regulatory Commission or State Electricity Regulatory Commission as the case may be). Accordingly, the tariff for the green energy shall be determined by Appropriate Commission.
- The Ministry of Power has already notified Grid Controller of India Limited as Central Nodal Agency who operates Green Open Access Registry (GOAR) portal which is the single window portal to register and apply for the Green Energy Open Access.
With reference to ‘Electricity (Promoting Renewable Energy through Green Energy Open Access) Rules, 2022’, consider the following statements:
1. Consumers can demand supply of Green Power from DISCOMs.
2. Commercial and Industrial consumers are allowed to purchase green power on a voluntary basis.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2