INS Vikrant (IAC-1)
Science and Technology > Defence technology > Basics of defence technology
Why in news?
- India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant, begins another phase of sea trials.
- It is scheduled to be commissioned into the Indian Navy in August 2022.
About INS Vikrant (IAC-1):
- INS Vikrant (IAC-I) is the first aircraft carrier built in India.
- It has been designed by the Indian Navy’s Directorate of Naval Design (DND), and is being built at Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL), a public sector shipyard under the Ministry of Shipping.
- It will have an air component of 30 aircraft, comprising MiG-29K fighter jets, Kamov-31 airborne early warning helicopters and the soon-to-be-inducted MH-60R multi-role helicopter, besides the indigenous Advanced Light Helicopters.
- It is expected to have a top speed of 30 knots (approximately 55 kmph) and is propelled by four gas turbines.
- It makes India only the fifth country after the US, Russia, Britain and France to have such capabilities of developing indigenous aircraft carriers.
- An aircraft carrier is one of the most potent marine assets for a nation, which enhances a Navy’s capability to travel far from its home shores to carry out air domination operations.
- While the United States Navy has 11 aircraft carriers, China too is moving ahead aggressively with its aircraft carrier programme. It has two carriers now, a third is in the making, and another two are likely to be commissioned within a decade.
- At present, India has only one aircraft carrier, the Russian-origin INS Vikramaditya.
Which of the following statements is/are correct regarding INS Vikrant (IAC-1)?
1. It is India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier.
2. It is designed and developed by DRDO
Choose the correct answer using the codes given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2