International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor
Science and Technology > Global research projects and India > Global research projects and India
Why in news?
- India has supplied four km of cryolines, capable of operating at temperatures ranging from minus 269 degrees Celsius to minus 193 degrees Celsius, for the ITER nuclear fusion project taking shape in France.
About ITER project:
- ITER is a unique partnership of nations jointly responsible for the construction, operation, and decommissioning of an experimental fusion facility.
- ITER being an experimental reactor, it will allow the study of fusion reaction which governs the Sun and other Stars.
- Nuclear fusion will take place in the form of Plasma in a Tokamak.
- ITER is run, funded and designed by seven members.
- European Union (EU)
- South Korea
- The United States
- The construction period of ITER is ten years, which will be followed by operation in two phases. The third is the decommissioning phase.
Objectives of ITER Project:
- The overall programmatic objective of the ITER Project is to demonstrate the scientific and technological feasibility of fusion energy for peaceful use.
- A main goal of ITER is to demonstrate the safety and environmental potential of fusion and thereby provide a good precedent for the safety of future fusion power reactors.
Location of ITER:
- European Union suggested France, but Japan wanted it to be installed in Japan.
- EU and Japan decided to come to a solution
- Finally, in Moscow, on 28th June 2005, all the member countries decided France as the location where the ITER project will be installed and run.
- Construction began in 2007.
India and ITER:
- After a series of steps and negotiations, India has become a partner in the ITER project.
- India will contribute equipment worth nearly 500 million US dollars to the experiment and will also participate in its subsequent operation and experiments.
- This equipment will largely be made by Indian industries.
International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor Project are funded and operated by which of the following countries?
1. It is a collaboration of six countries and European Union
2. It aims to study the nuclear fission reaction
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2