Environment and Ecology > Species extinction & protection > Species in news
Why in news?
- In a major discovery, the longest in-country migration route of lesser floricans, has been tracked for the first time from Rajasthan to Maharashtra’s Ahmednagar district.
About Lesser Florican:
- Lesser florican is a small and slender bird species belonging to the bustard group
- It is endemic to the Indian Subcontinent, where it is found in tall grasslands.
- The endangered bird is observed in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and some other regions during the monsoon season, when it breeds and later disappears with its chicks to unknown places.
- It is threatened both by hunting and habitat degradation.
- The bird is listed as “critically endangered” on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species and its population has been identified as “decreasing”.
- It is also protected under Schedule 1 of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972
Which of the following statements is/are correct regarding Lesser florican, an endangered bird species found in India?
1. It is found in tall grasslands
2. It is migratory in nature
3. It is threatened both by hunting and habitat degradation
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 2 only
(d) 1,2 and 3