Environment and Ecology > Biodiversity > Species in news
Why in news?
- The National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR) has recognised the Manda buffalo, found in the Eastern Ghats and plateau of Koraput region of Odisha, as the 19th unique breed of buffaloes found in India.
About Manda buffalo:
- They are found in the Eastern Ghats and plateau of Koraput region of Odisha.
- The small, sturdy buffaloes are used for ploughing in their native habitat.
- The Manda are resistant to parasitic infections, less prone to diseases and can live, produce and reproduce at low or nil input systems.
- These buffaloes have ash grey and grey coat with copper-coloured hair.
Significance of Recognition:
- The state and the Centre will make efforts to conserve this unique buffalo genetic resource of Odisha and enhance their productivity through breeding strategy.
- The governments will help in marketing the produce- milk, curd and ghee at a premium price, which will improve the livelihood of the stakeholders.
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) -National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (ICAR-NBAGR) is the nodal agency for the registration of newly identified germplasm of livestock and poultry of the country.
- Four breeds of cattle — Binjharpuri, Motu, Ghumusari and Khariar — and two breeds of buffalo — Chilika and Kalahandi — and one breed of sheep, Kendrapada, have already received NBAGR recognition.
- Its mandate includes
- Identification, evaluation, characterization, conservation and sustainable utilization of livestock and poultry genetic resources.
- Coordination and capacity building in animal genetic resources management and policy issues.
Which of the following statements are correct regarding Manda buffalo?
1. They are found in the Eastern Ghats and plateau of Koraput region of Odisha
2. The Manda are resistant to parasitic infections, less prone to diseases.
3. The National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR) has recognised the Manda buffalo as a unique breed of buffaloes.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 3 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3