National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF)
Social Justice > Education > Reports and indices
Why in news?
- The Union Education released the National Institute of Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2021. IIT-Madras has managed to retain its number one position in the overall educational institutes and engineering categories.
- The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) is a methodology adopted by the Union Ministry of Education, to rank institutions of higher education in India.
- NIRF was launched in 2015.
- Ranking of institutions of Higher Education under NIRF is an annual exercise.
- Depending on their areas of operation, institutions have been ranked under 11 different categories – overall, university, colleges, engineering, management, pharmacy, law, medical, architecture, dental and research
- The Framework uses several parameters for ranking purposes like resources, research, and stakeholder perception. These parameters have been grouped into five clusters and these clusters were assigned certain weightages
Which of the following statements are correct regarding National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF)?
1. It is an annual exercise to rank institutions of Higher Education.
2. Only publicly funded institutions are ranked under this framework
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2