National Medical Commission (NMC)
2023 MAY 11
Social Justice > Health > Health
Why in news?
- The National Medical Commission (NMC) has allowed foreign medical graduates who have passed their screening test to intern at non-teaching hospitals.
- This has been announced as a one-time measure to help students who are in the last year of their studies and had returned to India due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Russia-Ukraine conflict and so on.
National Medical Commission (NMC):
- In 2019, the Medical Council of India was replaced by National Medical Commission.
- NMC is constituted under National Medical Commission Act.
- The change is aimed at bringing in reforms in the medical education sector and especially aimed at replacing the MCI, which was tainted by corruption and other problems.
- The NMC functions as the country’s top regulator of medical education.
- The NMC will consist of 25 members, appointed by the central government.
- A Search Committee will recommend names to the central government for the post of Chairperson, and the part time members.
Functions of the National Medical Commission:
- (i) Framing policies for regulating medical institutions and medical professionals
- (ii) Assessing the requirements of healthcare related human resources and infrastructure
- (iii)Ensuring compliance by the State Medical Councils of the regulations made under the Bill
- (iv)Framing guidelines for determination of fees for up to 50% of the seats in private medical institutions and deemed universities which are regulated under the Act
Autonomous Boards under NMC:
- NMC have four separate autonomous boards for:
- Under-Graduate Medical Education Board (UGMEB) and the Post-Graduate Medical Education Board (PGMEB):
- These Boards will be responsible for formulating standards, curriculum, guidelines, and granting recognition to medical qualifications at the undergraduate and post graduate levels respectively.
- The Medical Assessment and Rating Board (MARB):
- MARB will have the power to levy monetary penalties on medical institutions which fail to maintain the minimum standards as laid down by the UGMEB and PGMEB.
- The MARB will also grant permission for establishing a new medical college, starting any postgraduate course, or increasing the number of seats.
- The Ethics and Medical Registration Board:
- This Board will maintain a National Register of all licensed medical practitioners, and regulate professional conduct.
- Only those included in the Register will be allowed to practice medicine. The Board will also maintain a separate National Register for community health providers.
- Each autonomous board will consist of a President and four members, appointed by the central government.
What is National Exit Test?
- The NMC Act provides for a common final year undergraduate examination called the National Exit Test for the students graduating from medical institutions to obtain the license for practice.
- This test will also serve as the basis for admission into post-graduate courses at medical institutions.
Which of the following is/are the functions of the National Medical Commission?
1. Framing policies for regulating medical institutions and medical professionals
2. Assessing the requirements of healthcare related human resources and infrastructure
3. Framing guidelines for vaccine manufacturing in India
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 2 and 3 only