National Migrant Information System
2020 MAY 19
Disaster Management > Mitigation > Disaster Management Act, 2005
WHY IN NEWS?
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has developed an online Dashboard - National Migrant Information System (NMIS).
ABOUT NATIONAL MIGRANT INFORMATION SYSTEM (NMIS)
- It was created to capture the information regarding movement of migrants and facilitate the smooth movement of stranded persons across States.
- The online portal would maintain a central repository on migrant workers and help in speedy inter-State communication and co-ordination to facilitate their smooth movement to native places.
- It has additional advantages like contact tracing, which may be useful in overall COVID-19 response work.
NATIONAL DISASTER MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY
- It was established through a Disaster Management Act of 2005.
- It functions under the Ministry of Home Affairs whose main purpose is to coordinate the response to any natural or man-made disasters in the country.
- It also focuses on the need to build capacity in the aspect of disaster resiliency and fine-tunes the crisis response of the country.
- The NDMA is also responsible for formulating the various disaster response policies, enumerating guidelines and best-practices for the same.
- It also coordinates with the State Disaster Management Authorities (SDMAs) to ensure a comprehensive and distributed approach to disaster management.
- The NDMA is lead by a nine-member board which is chaired by the Prime Minister of India.
- The rest of the board comprises of mainly members who have been nominated based on their expertise in disaster response areas such as planning, infrastructure management, communications, meteorology, and natural sciences.