North Atlantic Treaty Organization
International Relations > Strategic Groupings > International groupings
Why in news?
- Russia recently said it would halt the activities of its diplomatic mission to NATO after the Western military alliance expelled eight Russians in a row over spying.
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), also called the North Atlantic Alliance, is an intergovernmental military alliance between 30 North American and European countries.
- It was established by the North Atlantic Treaty (also called the Washington Treaty) of April 4, 1949.
- The NATO headquarters are located in Brussels, Belgium
- Of the 30 member countries, two are located in North America (Canada and the United States), 28 are in Europe, one of which (Turkey) is in both Europe and Asia.
- Three of NATO's members are nuclear weapons states: France, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- The most recent member state to be added to NATO was North Macedonia on 27 March 2020.
- NATO currently recognizes Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, and Ukraine as aspiring members.
- NATO constitutes a system of collective security, whereby its independent member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party.
- NATO's protection does not extend to members' civil wars or internal coups.
Partnership for Peace (PfP) programme
- It was established in 1994 and is based on individual bilateral relations between each partner country and NATO: each country may choose the extent of its participation.
- Members include all current and former members of the Commonwealth of Independent States
- The Commonwealth of Independent States is a regional intergovernmental organization of nine (originally ten) members, plus two founding non-member, post-Soviet republics in Eurasia.
- It was formed following the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991
- The combined military spending of all NATO members in 2020 constituted over 57% of the global nominal total
- Members agreed that their aim is to reach or maintain the target defence spending of at least 2% of their GDP by 2024
Which of the following countries is not a member of North Atlantic Treaty organization?
(b) United Kingdom