Ranjit Sagar Dam
Geography > Dams and reservoirs > Dams and reservoirs
Why in news?
- Recently, an Army helicopter with its pilot and co-pilot crashed into the Ranjit Sagar Dam in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir.
Ranjit Sagar Dam:
- The Ranjit Sagar Dam, also known as the Thein Dam, is part of a hydroelectric project constructed by the Punjab Irrigation Department on the Ravi River on the border of Jammu and Kashmir and Punjab.
- It is located upstream of the Madhopur Barrage at Madhopur. A large portion (up to 60%) of the reservoir falls within Jammu and Kashmir.
- The project is used for both irrigation and power generation.
- The project is the largest hydroelectric dam in Punjab with a capacity of 600 megawatts.
- The dam is amongst the highest earth-fill dams in India and has the largest diameter penstock pipes in the country.
Consider the following pairs:
Dams : Rivers
1.Ranjit Sagar : Ravi
2.Nagarjunasagar : Godavari
3.Srisailam : Krishna
Which of the above given pairs are correctly matched?
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1,2 and 3 only
(d) 2 and 3 only