River-Cities Alliance (RCA)
2023 MAY 8
Geography > Resource geography > water management
Why in news?
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) in association with the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) organized the ‘River-Cities Alliance (RCA) Global Seminar: Partnership for Building International River-Sensitive Cities’.
- The purpose of the RCA Global Seminar was to provide a platform to discuss and learn good practices for managing urban rivers.
About River-Cities Alliance (RCA):
- It is a dedicated platform for river cities in India to ideate, discuss and exchange information for sustainable management of urban rivers.
- It will be implemented under Ministry of Jal Shakti with the partnership of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and National Institute for Urban Affairs (NIUA) have collaborated together to launch the RCA.
- Beginning with 30 member cities in November 2021, the Alliance has expanded to 110 river cities across India and one international member city from Denmark.
- The RCA intends to facilitate knowledge exchange (online) for Indian cities to learn new practices and approaches for urban river management.
- It will also be an opportunity for international cities to learn about experiences in Indian cities, which may be relevant to their contexts.
Consider the following statements regarding ‘River Cities Alliance’:
1. The Alliance covers cities in Ganga basin only
2. The Secretariat of the Alliance will be set up at National Institute for Urban Affairs
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2