SDG Urban Index and Dashboard 2021-22
Governance > Miscellaneous > Reports and indices
Why in news?
- NITI Aayog under the Indo-German Cooperation has released the inaugural Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Urban Index and Dashboard 2021-22.
About the Index:
- The SDG Urban Index and Dashboard aim at further strengthening the SDG localization and instituting robust Sustainable Development Monitoring at the city levels and is a milestone step in country’s SDG localization journey.
- The index and dashboard highlight the strengths and gaps of ULB-level data, reporting systems, and monitoring.
- It will also further contribute to the creation of an ecosystem in which all the stakeholders will be equipped to adopt and implement data-driven decision-making.
- Statistical methodology for the SDG Urban Index is drawn from the globally accepted methodology developed by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
- The data will be sourced from official data sources including the National Family Health Survey (NFHS), National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), Unified District Information System for Education (U-DISE), data portals of various ministries etc.
Findings of 2021-22 report:
- Total fifty-six urban areas were considered for computation on 77 SDG indicators.
- Shimla tops the Index followed by Coimbatore and Chandigarh.
SDG Urban index and dashboard was developed by:
(a) Niti Aayog
(b) Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation
(c) Central Statistical Office
(d) Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs