Sachindra Nath Sanyal
Modern Indian History > Personalities > Freedom struggle
Why in news?
- The nation remembers 80th death anniversary of Sachindra Nath Sanyal on 7th February 2022.
About Sachindra Nath Sanyal:
- He was the founder of the Hindustan Republican Association. HRA was created to carry out armed resistance against the British Empire in India.
- Sanyal founded a branch of the Anushilan Samiti in Patna in 1913.
- In 1912, he along with Rashbehari Bose attacked Viceroy Hardinge and injured him while he was entering new capital of Delhi.
- He was extensively involved in the plans for the Ghadar conspiracy, and went underground after it was exposed in February 1915.
- After Bose escaped to Japan, Sanyal was considered the most senior leader of India’s revolutionary movement.
- He was a mentor for revolutionaries like Chandrashekhar Azad and Bhagat Singh.
- Sanyal and Mahatma Gandhi engaged in a famous debate published in Young India between 1920 and 1924. Sanyal argued against Gandhi’s gradualist approach.
- Sanyal was sentenced to life for his involvement in the Kakori conspiracy and was imprisoned at Cellular Jail in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, where he wrote his book titled Bandi Jeevan (A Life of Captivity, 1922).
- Sachindra Nath Sanyal passed away in Gorakhpur Jail on 7th February 1942.
What is Kakori conspiracy case?
- The Kakori Train Action was a train robbery, committed by the revolutionaries against the British Raj on August 9, 1925, in a village called Kakori near Lucknow.
- This robbery was carried out by 10 revolutionaries including Hindustan Republican Association's revolutionary Ram Prasad Bismil, Ashfaqullah Khan, Rajendra Lahiri, Keshav Chakraborty, Mukundi Lal, Banwari Lal.
- Significantly, freedom fighters Ram Prasad Bismil, Ashfaqullah Khan and Roshan Singh were hanged on December 19, 1927 for their involvement in the Kakori Conspiracy.
- Sanyal was sentenced to life for his involvement in the Kakori conspiracy.
Which of the following associations/movements are associated with Sachindra Nath Sanyal?
1. Hindustan Republican Association
2. Anushilan Samiti
3. Ghadar Movement
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1,2 and 3