Art and Culture > Miscellaneous > Bhakthi movement
Why in news?
- The Prime Minister will inaugurate the Sant Tukaram Shila Mandir in the temple town of Dehu in Pune district.
About Saint Tukaram:
- He was the contemporary of Shivaji.
- He is considered as the greatest Maratha Bhakthi reformer.
- He made the Vithoba cult popular.
- He composed devotional songs on Vithalswamy called as Abhangs.
- He preached the message of equality and universal brotherhood.
- Sant Tukaram and his work are central to the Warkari sect spread across Maharashtra.
- Sant Tukaram is credited with starting the Wari pilgrimage.
- His master was Saint Chaitanya Mahaprabhu of the Bhakti movement.
- Tukaram accepted disciples and devotees without discriminating gender.
- Tukaram taught that “pride of caste never made any man holy”, “the Vedas and Shastras have said that for the service of God, castes do not matter”, “castes do not matter, it is God’s name that matters”.
Consider the following statements Saint Tukaram
1. He was the contemporary of Shivaji.
2. He is credited with starting the Wari pilgrimage.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2