State Food Safety Index (SFSI) 2021-22
2022 JUN 13
Social Justice > Health > Reports and indices
Why in news?
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India(FSSAI) has released the State Food Safety Index(SFSI) 2021-22.
What is the State Food Safety Index (SFSI)?
- It aims to measure the performance of states and Union Territories on selected “parameters” of food safety
- It is released by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) annually since 2018-19.
- Human Resources and Institutional Data:
- This carries a weightage of 20% and measures the availability of human resources like number of Food Safety Officers, Designated Officers facility of appellate tribunals, functioning of State/ District level Steering Committees and pendency of cases.
- It carries the highest weightage, 30%.It measures overall coverage of food businesses in licensing & registration commensurate with size and population of the State/UTs.
- Food Testing – Infrastructure and Surveillance:
- Weighted at 20%.It measures the availability of adequate testing infrastructure with trained manpower in the States/ UTs for testing food samples.
- Testing and Capacity Building:
- This parameter carries the lowest weightage at 10%.It measures states performance on training and capacity building of regulatory staff.
- Consumer Empowerment:
- This carries a weightage of 20%. It evaluates the states and UTs on their performance on various consumer empowering initiatives of FSSAI and also state initiatives.
State Food Safety Index is released by:
(a) Food and Agriculture Organization
(b) NITI Aayog
(c) Food Safety and Standards Authority of India
(d) Quality Council of India