Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo (SMART)
Science and Technology > Defence technology > Missile defence systems
Why in news?
- A supersonic missile-assisted torpedo system (SMART) developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was successfully launched from the Wheeler Island in Odisha on 13th December 2021.
What is Torpedoes:
- Torpedoes are self-propelled weapons that travel underwater to hit the target and can be fired from either above or under the water surface.
- The operations of torpedoes are limited by their range per se. In the mid 2010s, the DRDO launched an ambitious project to build capacity to launch torpedoes assisted by missiles. The first flight test of the system was conducted in 2020.
About SMART system:
- This SMART system comprises a mechanism by which the torpedo is launched from an existing supersonic missile system — by making complex modifications in it — which takes the torpedo to a much longer range than its own.
- For example, a torpedo which has a range of around 50 km can be taken to a distance of 1000 km by the missile system, from where the torpedo can be launched.
- The system not only builds the capability to fire the torpedo beyond its range but also gives flexibility in terms of the launch platform that comes with the missile system.
- India’s capacity building in the area of anti-submarine warfare is crucial in the light of China’s aggressive deployment of naval assets in general and submarines in particular in the Indian Ocean Region.
- When the SMART system is deployed, it would give India the capability of firing torpedoes at adversary naval assets from far beyond the torpedo range.
Consider the following regarding ‘Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo (SMART)’ system:
1. It is developed by DRDO
2. It enhances India’s capability in anti-submarine warfare
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2