The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
Social Justice > Health > Health
- Deprived of sources of livelihood during the pandemic, sex workers, transpersons, gay and bi-sexual men, drug users and people living with HIV/AIDS have petitioned the Global Fund for AIDS, TB and Malaria (GFATM) protesting against being ignored by government and multilateral agencies in coronavirus (COVID-19) related emergency relief efforts.
- GFTAM (or simply the Global Fund) is an international financing and partnership organization that aims to invest additional resources to end the epidemics of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria to support attainment of the Sustainable Development Goals established by the United Nations.
- The organization maintains its secretariat in Geneva, Switzerland.
- It has an investment of nearly US $ 2.0 billion.
- The Global Fund is a financing mechanism rather than an implementing agency.
- Programs are implemented by in-country partners such as ministries of health, while the Global Fund secretariat, whose staff only have an office in Geneva, monitor the programs.
Consider the following statements regarding “Global Fund for AIDS, TB and Malaria (GFTAM)”:
1.It has its secretariat in Geneva, Switzerland
2.It is both a financing mechanism and an implementing agency for projects in health sector.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(c)Both 1 and 2
(d)Neither 1 nor 2
Answer to prelims question