2023 MAY 8
Art and Culture > Architecture > Temple architecture
Why in news?
- The central government has issued a notification declaring the ancient temple of Tungnath as a monument of national importance.
About Tungnath Temple:
- Tungnath Temple is located in Uttarakhand
- It is the only ancient ‘Shivalaya‘ of its kind located at the highest point above sea level in Asia.
- It is one of the Panch Kedars and is believed to have belonged to an ancient era almost 1000 years old.
- It was built in the Nagara style of architecture and has a dozen shrines of other Gods surrounding the temple.
- It is believed to have been discovered by Adi Sankacharya.
About Panch Kedars:
- Panch Kedar refers to a group of five sacred shrines of Lord Shiva located in the Garhwal Himalayas, Uttarakhand.
- They are the subject of many legends that directly link their creation to Pandavas, the heroes of the Hindu epic Mahabharata.
- The five temples are:
- Kedarnath Temple
- Tungnath Temple
- Rudranath Temple
- Madhyamaheshwar Temple or Madmaheshwar
- Kalpeshwar Temple
Which of the following temples are located in the state of Uttarkhand?
1. Kedarnath Temple
2. Tungnath Temple
3. Rudranath Temple
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 2 only
(d) 1,2 and 3