Science and Technology > Defence technology > Basics of defence technology
Why in news?
- Python-5 air-to-air missile test-fired successfully from LCA Tejas.
About Python Missile:
- The Rafael Python is a family of air-to-air missiles (AAMs) built by the Israeli weapons manufacturer Rafael Advanced Defense Systems.
- The Python-5 is currently the most capable air-to-air missile in Israel's inventory and one of the most advanced AAMs in the world.
- As a beyond-visual-range missile, it is capable of "lock-on after launch" (LOAL), and has full-sphere/all-direction (including rearward) attack ability.
- The missile features an advanced seeker which includes an electro-optical and image infrared homing seeker which scans the target area for hostile aircraft, then locks-on for terminal chase.
- With a total of eighteen control surfaces and careful design, the resulting missile is supposed to be as manoeuvrable as any other air-to-air missiles with thrust vectoring nozzles.
Python-5 is a air to air missile manufactured by:
(c)United States of America
Answer to Prelims question