Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
2023 JAN 9
Polity > Institutions/Bodies > Government agencies
Why in news?
- Recently, the 76th Foundation Day of Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) was celebrated in New Delhi and various initiatives were launched by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
About Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS):
- BIS is the National Standard Body of India established for the development of the activities of standardization, marking and quality certification of goods.
- It derives its powers from the ‘Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016’.
- Activities of BIS include Standards formulation, Certification, Hallmarking, Laboratory Testing of products etc.
- BIS draws market sample for independent testing to check quality of ISI marked products in the market. Action is taken against the erring manufacturers whose product does not conform to the Indian Standard.
- BIS organizes Consumer Awareness Programmes wherein the consumers are made aware of quality of ISI marked products and its misuse and colorable imitations.
Consider the following statements: Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
1. Bureau of Indian standards was established under the Weights and Measures Act,1976.
2. Its responsible for checking the quality of ISI marked products in the market.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2