2023 MAR 23
Geography > Resource geography > Resource geography
Why in news?
- Recently, under Namami Gange Program, the development of river front on Gandak River in the district of Gopalganj, Bihar has been undertaken and two Ghats have been constructed.
About Gandak River:
- The river Gandak, is also known as the Gandaki and Narayani River in Nepal.
- It is a significant river that flows through the northern part of India and Nepal.
- Valmiki National Park and Tiger Reserve in Bihar is located on the banks of this river.
- The river Gandak originates in the north of Dhaulagisi in Tibet near Nepal border.
- Originating from the Himalayas, the river stretches over a length of 630 kilometers, with 445 kilometers running through India and 185 kilometers in Nepal.
- The river flows through Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, and joins the Ganges near Patna just downstream of Hajipur.
- The major tributaries of the Gandak River include the Mayangadi, Bari, Trisuli, Panchand, Sarhad, Budhi Gandak.
- River Gandak was declared as National Waterway (NW)-37 from Bhaisalotan Barrage to Gandak and Ganga River confluence at Hajipur, Bihar.
- A total of 111 National Waterways (NWs) had been declared under the National Waterways Act, 2016
- The act aims to promote the development of inland water transport and provide an alternative mode of transportation for goods and passengers
Consider the following statements regarding ‘Gandak River’:
1. It flows through Bhutan and India
2. Neora Valley National Park is located in the banks of this river
3. Mayangadi and Bari major tributaries of this river
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1,2 and 3