Harit Sagar Guidelines 2023
2023 MAY 15
Economic Development > Indian Economy and Issues > infrastructure
Why in news?
- Recently, the Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways has launched 'Harit Sagar' Green Port Guidelines 2023 to achieve the Zero Carbon Emission Goal.
- Sagar Shreshtha Samman awards were also conferred to major ports for their exceptional achievements in various operational parameters
About Harit Sagar Guidelines 2023:
- These Guidelines provides a framework for the Major Ports for drawing out a comprehensive action plan for achieving targeted outcomes in terms of quantified reduction in carbon emission over defined timelines, through focused implementation and close monitoring of Green Initiatives and to achieve Sustainable Developmental Goals (SDG).
- It reflects the vision of making India’s ports more environmentally friendly and sustainable.
- It lays emphasis on use of Clean / Green energy in Port operation, developing Port capabilities for storage, handling and bunkering Greener Fuels viz. Green Hydrogen, Green Ammonia, Green Methanol / Ethanol etc.
- To promote the adoption of best practices and technologies for green port development and operations, such as renewable energy, water conservation, biodiversity protection, and climate resilience.
- To minimize waste through Reduce, Reuse, Repurpose and Recycle to attain zero waste discharge from port operations.
- To establish a rating system for assessing and benchmarking the environmental performance of ports based on various indicators and parameters.
- To incentivize and recognize the ports that achieves high standards of environmental excellence and sustainability.
- To facilitate the integration of green port principles into the planning, design, construction, operation, and maintenance of port infrastructure and services.
About Sagar Shreshtha Samman Award:
- The Sagar Shreshtha Samman Award is conferred by the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways to major ports in India for their outstanding achievements in various operational parameters.
- The award recognizes ports that demonstrate high standards of environmental excellence and sustainability.
Consider the following statements:
1. It focuses on both major and minor ports of India
2. It lays emphasis on use of green hydrogen in port operation
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2