Henley Passport Index
2023 JUL 20
International Relations > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous
Why in news?
- Henley Passport Index 2023 has been released by the consultancy firm named ‘Henley & Partners’.
What is the Henley Passport Index?
- ??Henley Passport Index is the ranking of all the world’s passports according to the number of destinations their holders can access without a prior visa.
- The index includes 199 passports and 227 travel destinations.
What are the key rankings of Henley Passport Index 2023?
- Singapore has topped the index.
- It is now officially the most powerful passport in the world with its citizens able to visit 192 travel destinations out of 227 around the world visa-free.
- Germany, Italy, and Spain occupied the second place.
- India has climbed seven places in 2023 and is ranked at 80th position.
- Indian citizens can now enjoy visa-free access to 57 destinations.
- In 2014, India was ranked 76 with 52 countries allowing Indian passport holders visa-free access but its performance has not been linear.
- It ranked 88 in 2015 (visa-free access to 51 countries), 85 in 2016, 87 in 2017, 81 in 2018, 82 in 2019 and 2020, and 81 in 2021.
What is the Henley Openness Index?
- Henley Openness Index measures how many nations does a country allows visa-free access to.
- The top 20 ‘most open’ countries are all small island nations or African states, except for Cambodia.
- Here, India was ranked 94 out of a total of 97 ranks for allowing only four countries visa-free access.
Consider the following statements:
1. Currently none of the countries are allowed visa-free access in India
2. Indian passport holders has visa-free access to more than 50 countries
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2