2023 OCT 26
Science and Technology > Nanotechnology > Nano technology
Why in news?
- The Union Home and Cooperation Minister has launched the world’s first liquid Nano DAP plant in Kalol, Gujarat.
About Nano DAP
- Nano DAP is a unique liquid fertilizer product that contains nanoparticles of Diammonium Phosphate (DAP).
- It is a source of nitrogen and phosphorus – 2 key primary nutrients essential for the growth of crops.
- Nano-DAP is jointly manufactured by Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative (IFFCO) in association with a private player Coromandel.
Significance of the Plant
- DAP is the second most consumed fertilizer in the country after urea. Out of the estimated annual consumption of around 10-12.5 million tonnes, local production is around 4-5 million tonnes, while the rest has to be imported. Nano-DAP will help to bring down India’s fertilizer import bill.
- It is also expected to contribute to bringing down the annual subsidy on non-urea fertilizers.
- It will also help farmers reduce dependence on chemical fertilizers, thus enhancing the quality and quantity of their produce. Reduced production cost and increased output will greatly boost the annual income of Indian farmers.
Benefits of Nano fertilisers
- Nano DAP and Nano Urea are advanced agricultural fertilizers designed to improve nutrient efficiency and reduce environmental impact.
- They are developed using nanotechnology to enhance nutrient delivery to plants, leading to higher crop yields with less fertilizer usage.
- Nano-sized particles have a larger surface area, aiding nutrient absorption.
- Nanoparticles dissolve easily in water, ensuring nutrient availability.
Consider the following statements regarding nanofertilisers:
- They have higher nutrient efficiency compared to conventional fertilisers.
- They are produced using nanotechnology.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2