2023 SEP 20
Geography > Resource geography > Resource geography
Why in news?
- Severe rains in Gujarat caused the Narmada River to flood, displacing thousands. Some blame the Sardar Sarovar Dam operators for their delayed actions.
About Narmada River:
- Narmada is the largest west flowing river of the peninsular region flowing through a rift valley between the Vindhya Range on the north and the Satpura Range on the south.
- It rises from Maikala range near Amarkantak in Madhya Pradesh.
- It drains a large area in Madhya Pradesh besides some areas in the states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- The river near Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh) forms the DhuanDhar Falls.
- There are several islands in the estuary of the Narmada of which Aliabet is the largest.
- Major Tributaries:
- Hiran, Orsang, the Barna and the Kolar.
- The major Hydro Power Projects in the basin are Indira Sagar, Sardar Sarovar etc.
Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA):
- It is an Indian social movement spearheaded by native tribes (adivasis), farmers, environmentalists and human rights activists against a number of large dam projects across the Narmada River.
- Sardar Sarovar Dam in Gujarat is one of the biggest dams on the river and was one of the first focal points of the movement.
Which of the following statements is/are correct regarding?
1. Par river flows through two Indian state
2. Tapi river originates from Satpura Range
3. Narmada river flows in a rift valley
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1,2 and 3