National Green Tribunal
2020 JUL 23
Environment and Ecology > National environmental initiatives > National Green Tribunal
Why in news?
- The National Green Tribunal has issued notices to the Union ministry of environment, forest and climate change and Oil India Limited (OIL) asking how environmental clearances for the seven proposed drilling sites in the Dibru- Saikhowa National Park were given without a Biodiversity Impact Assessment.
- The National Green Tribunal has been established in 2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act.
- It aims for effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources.
- It will also aim at enforcement of any legal right relating to environment and giving relief and compensation for damages to persons and property.
- The Tribunal shall not be bound by the procedure laid down under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908, but shall be guided by principles of natural justice.
- The Tribunal's dedicated jurisdiction in environmental matters provides speedy environmental justice and endeavours for disposal of applications or appeals finally within 6 months of filing of the same.
- It will also help reduce the burden of litigation in the higher courts.
- New Delhi is the Principal Place of Sitting of the Tribunal and Bhopal, Pune, Kolkata and Chennai shall be the other four places of sitting of the Tribunal.
Consider the following statements regarding National Green Tribunal:
1.It was established in 2001.
2.It was established under Environment protection Act.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(c)Both 1 and 2
(d)Neither 1 nor 2
Answer to prelims question