2023 SEP 8
Geography > Resource geography > Resource geography
Why in news?
- India is planning to build a large barrage on the Siang River to protect it from a Chinese dam being built in Tibet. The dam is being built on the Yarlung Tsangpo River in Tibet’s Medog district.
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu warned that if India does not respond to the dam, his state and neighbouring Assam could face environmental disasters, including floods.
About Siang river:
- The river Siang is known by the name of the Yarlung Tsangpo in Tibet, Tsangpo – Yarlung Zangbo in China.
- This transboundary river originating near the Kailash range. It follows in an easterly direction, parallel to the Himalayan ranges.
- When Tsangpo enters Arunachal Pradesh, it is known as the Dihang (or Siang) River.
- It then turns towards south and enters Assam where it is joined by two mountain streams, the Lohit and the Dibang and thereafter it is known as Brahmaputra.???????
Consider the following rivers:
How many of them are transboundary (flows through at least two countries) rivers?
(a) Only one
(b) Only two
(c) All three