Adopt a Heritage Programme
2023 SEP 4
Art and Culture > Miscellaneous > Government Schemes
Why in news?
- The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) is set to launch the “Adopt a Heritage 2.0” programme and Indian Heritage app.
About Adopt a heritage programme:
- Adopt a Heritage: Apni Dharohar, Apni Pehchaan is an initiative that aims to involve public and private sector companies and corporate citizens/individuals to promote sustainable tourism.
- It is a collaborative effort between the Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Culture and Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) and State/UTs Governments
- Develop synergy among all partners to effectively promote “responsible tourism”.
- Making our heritage and tourism more sustainable.
- Creation of world class infrastructure and basic amenities including drinking water, ease of access for the differently abled and senior citizens, standardised signage, cleanliness, public conveniences and illumination, along with advanced amenities such as surveillance systems, night-viewing facilities and tourism facilitation centres
About Monument Mitras:
- The involved companies/individuals would adopt heritage sites and would become 'Monument Mitras'.
- ‘Monument Mitras’ could spend their CSR funds for the promotion of these sites.
- The sites/monument are selected on the basis of tourist footfall and visibility.
- ‘Monument Mitras’ would be selected through “Vision Bidding”, where the company with best vision for the heritage site would be picked and there is no financial bid involved.
- The corporate sector is expected to use corporate social responsibility (CSR) funds for the upkeep of the site.
- The Monument Mitras, in turn, will get limited visibility on the site premises and on the Incredible India website
- No fund will be given by Ministry of Tourism.
- In 2019, Dalmia Bharat group became the first corporate house in India to adopt a historical monument, as it took over the Red Fort to maintain and preserve the heritage structure for a period of five years.
Consider the following statements regarding “Adopt a Heritage scheme”:
1.Ministry of Tourism will provide funds to companies chosen under the scheme.
2.Red Fort was the first monument to be adopted under the scheme.
Which among the above statements is/are correct?
(c)Both 1 and 2
(d)Neither 1 nor 2