Geography > Places in news > Places in news
- Iran has decided to exclude India from the deal for construction of a rail line from Chabahar port to Zahedan, along the border with Afghanistan
ABOUT CHABAHAR PORT:
- The port is located in southeastern Iran, on the Gulf of Oman and at the mouth of Strait of Hormuz.
- It is the only Iranian port with direct access to the Indian Ocean.
- Being close to Afghanistan and the Central Asian countries of Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan etc., it has been termed the "Golden Gate" to these land-locked countries.
WHY CHABAHAR PORT IS IMPORTANT TO INDIA?
- In 2016, India signed a deal with Iran entailing $8 billion investment in Chabahar port and industries in Chabahar Special Economic Zone.
- Chabahar port will boost India's access to Iran, the key gateway to the International North-South Transport Corridor that has sea, rail and road routes between India, Russia, Iran, Europe and Central Asia.
- Chabahar port will be beneficial to India in countering Chinese presence in the Arabian Sea which China is trying to ensure by helping Pakistan develop the Gwadar port.
- India can bypass Pakistan in transporting goods to Afghanistan.
Q. Which of the following are advantages of Chabahar port to India:
- It can help bypass Pakistan in transporting goods to Afghanistan.
- It will boost India's access to Iran and Central Asia.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
Answer to Prelims question