2022 MAY 12
Geography > Places in news > Places in news
Why in news?
- To combat the increasing pollution and rejuvenate Dal Lake, a unique initiative known as ‘Athwas’ has been launched by the Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha.
More about News:
- ‘Athwas’ is a unique partnership between citizens and authorities for the rejuvenation of Lake. It involves community participation.
- Under the initiative, the de-weeding and dredging will be conducted in collaboration with the citizens.
About Dal Lake:
- Dal is a lake in Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The lake is also an important source for commercial operations in fishing and water plant harvesting.
- The lake is located in the Zabarwan mountain valley, in the foothills of the Shankracharya hills, which surround it on three sides.
- The lake has four main interconnected basins namely, Hazratbal, Bod dal, Gagribal and Nagin.
- The floating gardens here, known as “Raad” in Kashmiri, blossom with lotus flowers during July and August.
- The houseboats (Shikaras) are closely associated with Dal Lake which provide accommodation to tourists in Srinagar.
Consider the following pairs:
1. Dal Lake : Ladakh
2. Wular Lake : Jammu and Kashmir
3. Mansar Lake : Uttarakhand
Which of the pairs given above is/are correct?
(a) 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1,2 and 3