2022 MAY 6
Geography > Places in news > Places in news
Why in news?
- Recently, Chinese naval vessels passed through the Miyako Strait, that separates Japan’s Okinawa’s main island from Miyako Island
About Okinawa Island:
- Okinawa Islands are part of Ryukyu Island Chain (also known as Nansei Islands), an archipelago which defines boundaries between the East China Sea and the Philippine Sea.
- Okinawa Island and Amami Great Island are the two biggest islands in the archipelago and Miyako Strait, an international waterway in the Ryukyu Island Chain, is the widest passage as well as choke point.
- The archipelago is controlled by Japan, with claims over Senkaku Islands (part of the archipelago) by China as well as Taiwan.
- Okinawa Island was the site of one of the bloodiest campaigns in the Pacific theatre during World War II.
- In April 1945 U.S. troops were able to establish complete control of the island.
- In 1972 the United States returned Okinawa Island to Japan, although the extensive U.S. military installations there remained operative.
Which of the following islands are located in Pacific Ocean?
Select the correct answer using the code given below
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2,3 and 4 only
(c) 1,3 and 4
(d) 1,2,3 and 4