Modern Indian History > Personalities > Eminent personalities
Why in news?
- Recently, the Ministry of Culture organized ‘Tiranga Utsav’ to celebrate Pingali Venkayya’s 146th Birth Anniversary.
About Pingali Venkayya:
- Designer of India’s National Flag:
- Pingali Venkayya, a freedom fighter and the designer of India’s National Flag was a follower of Gandhian principles
- Iit was upon the request of Mahatma Gandhi that he designed the Indian National Flag with saffron, white and green colours with chakra in the middle.
- He was an agriculturist and also an educationist who set up an educational institution in Machilipatnam.
- A postage stamp was issued to commemorate him in 2009 and in 2011 it was proposed that he be posthumously awarded the Bharat Ratna.
- He wrote a book titled “National Flag for India,” which was published in 1916.
- The book showcased thirty designs of what could make the Indian flag.
‘Pingali Venkayya’, a historical figure, was known for his role in:
(a) Khasi Rebellion of 1833
(b) Design of India’s National Flag
(c) Dravidian movement in Madras Presidency
(d) Revolutionary movement in South India