2020 NOV 5
Environment and Ecology > Species extinction & protection > Species specific programmes
Why in news?
- 6 new potential sites have been identified for translocation of Lions from Gir National park and adjoining areas.
About Project Lion:
- Project Lion that was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi August 15, 2020, on the lines of Project Tiger and Project Elephant.
- The programme has been launched for the conservation of the Asiatic Lion, whose last remaining wild population is in Gujarat’s Asiatic Lion Landscape (ALL).
- Project Lion will entail habitat development, engage modern technologies in Lion management and address the issues of disease in Lion and its associated species through advanced world-class research and veterinary care.
- The project will also address Human-wildlife conflict and will be inclusive involving local communities living in the vicinity of Lion landscape and will also provide livelihood opportunities.
The Six new sites identified:
- The new sites have been identified by Wildlife Institute of India, along with the Gujarat Forest Department:
- Madhav National Park, Madhya Pradesh
- Sitamata Wildlife Sanctuary, Rajasthan
- Mukundra Hills Tiger Reserve, Rajasthan
- Gandhi Sagar Wildlife Sanctuary, Madhya Pradesh
- Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary, Rajasthan
- Jessore-Balaram Ambaji WLS and adjoining landscape, Gujarat
- The sites are apart from the Kuno-Palpur Wildlife Sanctuary which has already been identified and developed for Translocation of Lions.
- Gujarat Forest Department has still not carried out the Supreme Court order of 2013 directing the state to relocate lions to the Kuno-Palpur Wildlife Sanctuary.
- The major motivation for translocation is the lack of genetic diversity among Asiatic lions as full genome sequencing of Gir lions has shown them to be lacking genetic diversity in comparison to other lion populations
Which of the following wild animal species are endemic to India ?
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a)1 and 3 only
(b)1, 3 and 4 only
(c)2,3 and 4 only
(d)1,2,3 and 4
Answer to prelims question