SECURE Himalaya project
Environment and Ecology > Species extinction & protection > Species in news
Why in news?
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) in association with the UNDP is implementing a unique model in Ladakh to conserve the habitats of Snow Leopards.
More about the news:
- The unique model to conserve Snow Leopards is being implemented under the SECURE Himalaya project.
- It involves local communities in Ladakh to not only protect the big cats but also provide alternative livelihood opportunities to the people in the region.
- The model is linked to community-based tourism and promotion of traditional natural farming in scarce farmlands which can be replicated not only at other snow leopard habitats but also in tiger and elephant reserves.
About SECURE Himalaya project:
- It is a part of the “Global Partnership on Wildlife Conservation and Crime Prevention for Sustainable Development” (Global Wildlife Program) funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
- It implemented by the MoEFCC along with UNDP.
SECURE Himalaya Project, sometimes seen in news, is associated with the conservation of which of the following species?
(a) Himalayan wolf
(b) Snow leopard
(c) Kashmir stag